Satay Beef Recipe
Step1: Barbecued Beef
2 tbsp coriander seeds 2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbs black pepper seeds 1 lb beef, chilled and sliced
½ tsp turmeric powder 4 tbsp Coconut Tree Brand lemongrass, sliced
2 tbsp Coconut Tree Brand galangal, sliced
1 tsp dark soy sauce 1 tsp salt
4-5 tbsp sugar 4 tbsp cooking oil
Bamboo sticks or metal skewers
- Place coriander and cumin seeds in a pan and fry over low heat for 3 minutes until fragrant. Pound to a fine powder while still hot. Set aside.
- Combine lemongrass, galangal, black pepper seeds, and turmeric powder together and pound to a smooth paste.
- In a bowl, add coriander-cumin powder, dark soy sauce, salt, sugar, and cooking oil onto the paste. Mix well.
- Marinate the beef with the mixed spices paste for at least 1 hour.
- Thread seasoned meat onto bamboo sticks or fine metal skewers.
- Grill over charcoal fire or under a hot grill. Baste with a mixture of cooking oil and water to keep beef moist.
Step2: Peanut Sauce
1 lb peanuts freshly roasted and ground
4 cups of water 1 cup of cooking oil
2 tbsp salt 8-10 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Cock Brand Tamarind Paste,
mixed with 4 tbsp of water
15 Shallots, peeled
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp Coconut Tree Brand sliced lemongrass
10-15 Coconut Tree Brand frozen chilli, minced
4 thin slice Coconut Tree Brand frozen galangal
2 cucumbers, cut into wedges, thinly sliced
3 shallots, peeled cut in half and thinly sliced
- Pound spices ingredients into a fine paste.
- Place peanuts and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat. Simmer until mixture becomes thick. Stir constantly for about ½ hour. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok and fry pounded spices until fragrant and oil separates.
- Add paste to the peanuts, and then add salt, sugar and tamarind water.
- Boil sauce over a low heat for 5-7 minutes until sugar is dissolved. Stir often.
- Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Serve separately with barbecued beef and garnish.